Friday, April 2, 2010

On Second Thought

Sigh...

Somethings just aren't meant to be.

Like me and pink boots.

I guess this means I'm really growing up because I'm sacrificing fashion for function.  I remember when I was in high school, I would wear all my shoes with no socks. Like not even in the winter, when it was -30 and there was 10 inches of snow.  It's true.  I grew up in Calgary, Alberta, where the winters are so cold your nostril hairs freeze when you breathe in and so cold, your eyes water and then your tears freeze to your face.  But even then, I wore my shoes with no socks.  For some reason I cannot remember, socks were not cool.  Evidently, cold feet and frost bite were cool.

I don't know if it was the bruises around my ankles or the sharp, shooting pains up the sides of my legs that made me take the boots back.  Maybe it was that my each one of my poor toes felt like it was being crushed that did the trick.  Perhaps if it were only the bruises or only the sharp, shooting pains, I would have been able to bear it in the name of fashion.  And toes...who really needs those?  I've heard they're only there for balance...and balance is totally over-rated...Whatever it was in the end, my feet thank me.

And what was I thinking anyways????  Pink?  In a Warehouse?  Ridiculous.  Within 3 days they were dirty (shout-out to Marks Work Wearhouse, who took back the dirty, worn boots without even so much as a dirty look...100% satisfaction guaranteed, the lady said.)  Can you even imagine the filth on those things in a month?  And what if it rained?  My goodness, not the least bit practical.  And hello, I'm an adult.  What adult wears pink boots at all, let alone steel toed ones.  I have to admit that I did feel a little foolish wearing them....even if they brought a smile to every single one of my employees.  And no, they were not laughing AT me. 

Believe me...I asked...

You'd think that if women were smart enough to make cute, pink steel toed boots, they'd be smart enough to make them comfortable too.  I guess that is just asking too much. 

So now it's back to boring old black boots.  Practical boots.  Comfortable boots.  Dull, boring practical boots.

I think I might have to go get me a be-dazzler. Just Imagine!!  Rhinestones!  I could bling those bad boys up!  (Okay, yes I do hear how silly I just sounded there...)

But I really miss my pink boots...

1 comment:

  1. It surely brought old memories back your story of going to school with no socks and shoes only in the middle of winter. And I thought only teenagers in Quebec were doing this! I guess the foolishness was spread countrywise. :-)

    Nathalie Roths
    Art Director / Directrice artistique
    nathalie@photo-cartes.ca
    Notes and Photos / Photo-cartes
    www.notesandphotos.ca
    www.photo-cartes.ca

    ReplyDelete